Mar 13, 2009

Roots !!!

He sat looking out the window and smiled at how funny life was ?! Till yesterday, his world was secure in what he Knew. Today his world seemed to have tilted on it's axis. On his 21st birthday, he'd thought he finally felt like a Man's man. Looking in the mirror he'd thought, he could see someone he thought he could be proud of. But he didn't know the real test time would throw at him.

How could this have happened to him. Was his life a mirage, that had just gotten clearer or was the mirage the questions churning through his mind ? There was no chance that he'd get his answers any time soon or without any futher suffering. But the turmoil within his heart twisted within him like dual edged knives. Could he accept himself accept what had come before him? No, it would be a long time before he could face the fact without cursing the day he was born. What about the image that looked back at him now? Was it the same person who was there yesterday ? Or the years before or was it a person who he didn't know anymore. Who had no identity without the haze of the past being cleared. No, he wouldn't get lost! He would find his way. He would make something better from the murky waters that lay before him, taunting him to retaliate, coaxing him to question every last detail. That would only lead to loss of himself, and those he loved. No, this was a time to stand strong. Not weaken in a desperate, maybe futile and destructive attempt to find the truth. That time may come later, but it was not Now ...

Yesterday night, 3 days after his birthday, when his parents had sat him down, he'd never have imagined what was to come. Their faces had told him that something was terribly wrong. Mother had been crying and father didn't seem far behind. Fear had gripped his heart as he prepared himself for the worst.

His father after a lot of sentimental comments trying to rest his fears, had disclosed to him that he'd been adopted. That they'd tried unsuccessfully for a child of their own, for 6 years before deciding they might as well give a home to someone who needed it. They explained to him how he had lit up their lonely lives. Gave them meaning and brought laughter into their home.

Yet, they'd always lived in the dark fear that somehow, some day he'd come to know from someone else. So, they'd decided come what may, they'd tell him a few days after his 21st birthday. They didn't really know much about his parents. Only that he'd been given up for adoption the day he was born. They said they'd understand and would fully support him if he wanted to find out about his real parents. They loved him and always will. He was their son and would always be the apple of their eye.

He'd been thunderstruck during his father's heartfelt monologue. A million questions rushed through his mind, the answers to which he knew he might never get. After his father finished and asked him if he wanted to say anything, he'd remained silent. His father placed his hand on his shoulder and stood there while his son processed the bitter truth of his life. Then he'd just gotten up, wiped his tears, hugged his adoptive parents and walked up to his room, quietly wondering ...

He'd stayed awake most of the night dozing off only when he grew too tired to think. Now, as he got up and went to wash his face he decided what he needed to do.

He walked down the stairs to the dining room where his parents were already awake, ready with breakfast, waiting patiently to see what he had to say, albeit fearfully.

He sat down at his usual place, pulled a plate to him and poured himself a glass of orange juice. He looked at his parents as he took a sip. His mother's eyes were swollen and bloodshot. His father also looked like he hadn't slept either. He smiled at them, to their apparent relief -

" Mom, Dad. No matter what else I am, I'm Your son first. I'm sorry I didn't say anything last night becoz I just didn't think I'd be able to talk. I'm sorry you think that I'd leave you or think worse of you after knowing. I wish you'd had a little more confidence in me. You gave me a roof, fed me, gave me an education, priveleges, scolded me, protected me and loved me making me the man I am today.

In fact I love you both more now knowing that I might have been nothing without the kindness you showered upon me. For all intents and purposes I'm only Your son. I have your values, your habits, my life is the tree of which you two are the roots.

For now, I have no desire to find out about my real parents for two reasons. One, I have a long way to go in making my life which is more important and secondly, Maybe my real parents wouldn't like being found but that is another question that is probably futile at this point. Tomorrow, if I did decide to find them, that in no way means I don't love you as much as I did yesterday morning.

So, you see you can't get out of helping me get that apartment that I've been trying to acquire just yet. You're stuck with me forever ... " and he laughed.

And they laughed with him, with relief and the love they felt for the man he'd grown into.

8 comments:

CRD said...

:) but mebbe u shudve got a lil more into the thoughts that wouldve run thru the guy's mind. the feeling of being lied to, the betrayal by his true parents,e tc


Cheers
CRD

S A J I T H said...

good effort could have edited better..but its superb piece of thought...!!
Cheers..

Adisha said...

@ CRD - Thought about it and have added to it. Hope you have the patience to give it another read.

Other than what I've added, I wanted this post to be kinda idealistic and postive. Hope you enjoy it the 2nd time round.

Adisha said...

@ sajith - Thank you. Do let me know what issues you had with the editing. Would be much appreciated.

Anonymous said...

Nice story, and yeh you are right its not the person who gives birth but the person who nurtures are the true parents.
keep writing.

Chaitanya said...

Nice idea. One can hardly imagine the turmoil in the parents' mind thinking about the possible outcomes of such a revelation. A bit of description of the parents' emotions and reactions would have added to the appeal. But even then, a nice post.

Anonymous said...

This is one of the things I like about writing, when you have to think about a situation and imagine how your characters would react in it. Sometimes you have control over it, and other times you have to let the characters do the talking.

It could have been a irritated guy cursing his parents and then accepting or not accepting the situation, or in this case an idealist but realist who took a night before talking back to his parents.

I do think that the story was from a 10000 ft view, one can add as many details as they wish but conceptually it is quite innovative and a nice framework to build your story on. I can already see people tempted to add details to it!

Ash D said...

Nice! again.

Copyright

All stories in content is fictional and are a product of my imagination. Unless stated otherwise, all site content is copyright © 2007 -2010 A.W.Singh. All Rights Reserved.



Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape