May 23, 2009

Decisions !

The sky was a dull ivory color, clouds above threatening every few minutes.



Radha pulled back the curtain further and looked out. She folded her hands across her chest, as she took in the might of the vista before her !!

Great !! Even the skies denied to give her hope. From this point it looked like the world was conspiring against her.

She had to do what she had to do. The wheels had been set in motion, when she'd opened her eyes today morning to the phone ringing.

Rohan had not left her much of a choice. Their's had always been a complex relationship. She let out a sigh ! She'd noticed by her own and the experiences of those around her, that love always complicated things a hell lot before simplifying them any.

It had been love at first conversation for Rohan but she, the practical one had always maintained a distance. After a few months of trying to whisk her away on an official date, she had relented and things had spiralled out of control immediately, going way too fast. His feelings were obvious and as relationships at the work place tend to get, the sparks and tongues were soon flying. They were incompatible in every way, but he was so sure of every thing that soon she found herself pulled into his fantastical web. Stupidly yes, but the exhilaration made her feel so powerful, she remembered guiltyly. The more they got to know one another, the more their differences became apparent and within the turmoils they often found euphoria.

If only she had stopped much earlier, then it wouldn't have come to this. But she hadn't and now someone just might get hurt. She wrung her hands in despair. She'd always known a time would come when she'd have to face the music for her pieces of silver. It had never occurred that it would be so soon.

Rohan had been given an oppurtunity to head a project in Switzerland. And she was in the cross hairs of the decisions. He wanted her with him and she, didn't know how she was going to handle the matter. She was sure it was too soon to commit and he was equally sure that they were meant to be. He was impulsive, childish, an eternal romantic. She wasn't. He was so many things she wasn't and yet the one trait they shared was stubbornness.

She shuddered at the thought of the call in morning. She'd woken up at 5.15 am with the insistent ringing of her cell.

" Are you going to come or not ?? "

" Whaa ?? Ro ? Do you know what time is it ? "

" I waited as long as I could. Now I can't anymore. Are you going to come or not ?? "

She pulled herself up in her bed, composing her mind, " Why don't you understand ? It's not that easy to just get up and decide such things suddenly. "

" Yes it is ! It's a simple enough question. Do you love me enough ?? If you know that, then we can work things out. I won't go, if that's what it takes . " , he sounded so haggard that her heart broke.

" Have you slept at all ? "

" Don't change the topic . "

" Ok ! What do you want me to say ? Don't go ? But you have to. It's a chance of a life time. I would never let such an oppurtunity leave my hands. I want what's best for you. Besides, you've worked so hard for this. You have to go. "

" So you want me to go and you aren't willing to say that you'll try even . I get it. "

" It's not that cut and dry and you know it. You're not being fair. iIt's just that .... "

" I know everything there is to know. But I'm all in. So the balls in your court. You have till tonight to tell me what you've decided. Either way. I'll be right here, waiting. "

And he'd cut the call. Just like that. Leaving her staring at the reciever, aghast at the ultimatum.

She'd tried calling him back but he never picked up, even cutting her calls a few times. She didn't blame him. She had dilly dallied long enough, even by her standards and the excuses that she'd been putting forward seemed lame, even to her ears now. She just had to take her courage in her hands and put her play into the game.

She looked at the moon, through the clouds and wished she was as sure of her place in the universe. She'd taken sick leave and wiled her day away some how, taking a long, exhausting walk alone thinking about every possible scenario and she had decided. She still had no idea about what she wanted, but atleast now she was absolutely sure about what she did not want.

She turned away from the window and walked towards the phone, all her fears and uncertainties of tomorrow causing her to shiver. She picked up her cell and dialed. It rang a few times and the call connected.

She spoke firmly, " Hello........ How are you ??? ............... Perfect ...............Uhhh, Daddy !! I'm coming over tomorrow. I needed to talk to you and mummy...................No, I need to do this face to face ............... I'm sorry, it can't wait ............ What's it about ? Ummmm .... It would be good to wait till tomorrow .......... You're being childish....... Well, it's about this guy at work. ............ Rohan, his name is Rohan........... No , he's not harassing me Mom .................Yes, daddy. I know you could still manage to break his bones if he did...........Ssshhh !!!!!! Dad, mom ! He wants to marry me..... No, Yes, I want to marry him too..... No, he's not from our caste ............. No, he's doesn't speak Marathi either ............. Mom, please don't get melodramatic. I know you didn't want it like this, but he's a really good person and he loves me.................. I can understand but you cannot hate him before meeting him right ??? ............... Just more than a year ............... All of sudden, because he's been promoted last week and has to move to Switzerland within the next two, three months and he wants me to go with him.................. He's more qualified than me, yes ........... Family ?? Dad's into banking, mom's runs a nursery and he's got a sister ...........in college ............... Ummm mmm ............... Yeah .......... Ok, I'll tell him to meet us for lunch..........No, he's not very picky about food....... Brinjal I guess.......... Yes, Dad I'm sure .............. No, I'll remember the bone breaking thing......... Yes, I'll tell him................. Thank you dad . See you tomorrow .........Love you both . "

She clutched the phone to her chest, as her eyes brimmed with tears and her lips widened into a smile of relief. She'd actually thought there would be violence but her parents seemed to have had re aligned their thinking to current ways. Wow !!! Now she knew that they loved her enough to want her to be happy, no matter how they truly felt. Thank God, for her mind was made up now. And nothing would change it.

She re dialed. The call connected on the first ring.

" Hello ?..... I've decided..... I do not want to spend the rest of my life without you . I'm all in ................ ", She laughed out loud at the response. " Ofcourse, I'll marry you silly !!.............. I love you too ........ Oh ! By the way, lunch tomorrow at my parent's place. It's a 2 hour drive. Pick me up at 10 am. Oh ! And don't forget to wear a thick shirt. "

And she cut the call. Let Him sweat a while, just a little. Radha giggled to herself in anticipation of all the days life altering ahead.

12 comments:

Blogger said...

this ws a lovely read! u r really a very good story teller!! i loved the narration..superb. had me totally glued to it...n to d characters...got all curious to see wht will radha decide given that she ws so confused bout him... but then loved d ending! :)

cutestangel said...

Nice story ,keep writing.
I guess sometimes opposites attract.

Sorcerer said...

though a long post..loved readin it
nice..real nice post
keep em comin :)

Unknown said...

Good one again!
The hundred concerns of the parents were put forth so well, even if we got only one side of the conversation!
Keep it up!

Thoughts Over Chai said...

so sweet..i'd wait for a time when you publish your own book.You are seriously doing a great job.Think about publishing your own book! give it a thought please.

Adisha said...

@ Priyanka - thankyou dear ...

@ Cutestangel - Sometimes they don't :))

@ Sorcerer - Thanks buddy !

@ Sagar - Thanks ... Will do ..

@ Tasneem - Thanks so much dear. I'm truly flattered... Hope you enjoy the coming ones too !

bondgal_rulz said...

Awwww!!! This was just SO cute!! Thank goodness I read it before sleeping...now I'll be sure of a peaceful night of sleep. :)

And OMG!!! not only the plots of our stories are similar, the characters too share an uncanny similarity!!!

But I sooo wish that all the real love stories end the way yours did. :)

"Love at first conversation." I like and understand!! :)

"She'd actually thought there would be violence." ROFL

Great work. Keep penning.

Cheers

Aniket Thakkar said...

Whooaaaaa!!!

Absolutely loved it to the core.
Great narration and effective use of dialogues too.

Have to say that I loved the conversation with parents the most. I guess that's common in most families these days. I can imagine myself having a similar conversation with them one day, except for the beating part. :)

Lovely post!

Anonymous said...

oh!! how much i missed reading your stories !! the convos were awesome !! blogrolloed you now :)

Adisha said...

Thank you Aniket... Do keep visiting...

Aparajita said...

Nice story. But if you imagine ahead, there are bound to be problems after the marriage, because you mention how different they are.

Unknown said...

I would love to see the happy ever after or the not so happy ever after ending.

- M. (www.pentestit.com)

Copyright

All stories in content is fictional and are a product of my imagination. Unless stated otherwise, all site content is copyright © 2007 -2010 A.W.Singh. All Rights Reserved.



Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape